Some days you just crave classics. Classic chocolate chip cookies. Classic r&b. I mean, who is going to turn down a chocolate chip cookie? No one. Especially these.. Brown butter chocolate chip cookies. What is brown butter, you ask? Brown butter is sweet, dark, caramelized butter. Plus, it smells amazing!
Joy the Baker did a Facebook live session featuring these beauties and I just had to whip them up. The brown butter and the molasses will add a darker color to your cookie, but don’t fret – they are still just as chewy and even more delicious than any regular chocolate chip cookie you may have had.
Something as rich as this cookie deserves a soulful mashup. D’Angelo does the trick. Bake and stream below:
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2.25 c. Flour
- 1 stick Browned butter
- 1 stick Softened butter
- 1 c. Brown sugar
- 1/2 c. Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. Molasses
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 3/4 bag Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat 1 stick butter – in a white bottom pan if you have it – over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. The butter will crackle and pop as the water sizzles out. The butter is ready when the crackling stop, it’s deep brown in color, and there are small bits.
- Beat softened butter with brown sugar until smooth. Add granulated sugar and brown butter. Beat until incorporated.
- Add molasses and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
- Add egg + yolk and beat again.
- Add flour and baking soda. Stir, using a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes.