Some days you just crave classics. Classic chocolate chip cookies. Classic r&b. I mean, who is going to turn down a chocolate chip cookie? No one. Especially these.. Brown butter chocolate chip cookies. What is brown butter, you ask? Brown butter is sweet, dark, wonderfully smelling, caramelized butter. It’s so easy to do I wonder why traditional chocolate chip cookies don’t call for it already.
Joy the Baker did a Facebook live session featuring these beauties and I just had to whip them up. I will admit that I didn’t have molasses on hand so I subbed maple syrup.. Basically the same thing. Kind of.
As you can see they turned out quite divine. The brown butter does give them a darker appearance, but don’t fear! Just a set a timer for 11 minutes and I promise that you will get one perfect, chewy, chocolate chip cookie. And that brown butter is the most beautiful smell… Sigh.
Something so rich and comforting I had to mashup with a soulful sound. D’Angelo did the trick. Now bake + stream everybody! PS. This is a ONE BOWL recipe. #winning
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2.25 C. Flour
- 1 Stick Browned Butter
- 1 Stick Softened Butter
- 1 C. Brown Sugar (I used dark brown)
- 1/2 C. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Molasses (I used maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 3/4 bag of chocolate chips (Your preference tbh!)
- Heat 1 stick butter (in a white bottom pan!) over Medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Once the crackling stops and the butter turns a deep brown, you’ll know it’s ready!
- Beat softened butter with brown sugar until smooth. Add granulated sugar and brown butter. Beat until incorporated.
- Add molasses (or maple syrup) and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
- Add egg + yolk; beat again.
- Add flour and baking soda. Stir until just combined – do not beat. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (This is the sad part.. but its necessary!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes.
Recipe modified via Joy the Baker