Abra, self-called Darkwave Duchess, is an Atlanta based singer who has risen in popularity over this past summer. I personally discovered her on Pigeons & Planes and was drawn in to the mystery behind her self-dedicated closet recordings. What’s kept me listening since though, is the late 80’s, early 90’s freestyle vibes I catch that remind me of old tapes my mom used to play – Heartthrobs, if you will.
“Fruit” is a loose and carefree wave featuring hip-hop induced bass and swirvy electronics. What really keeps you grounded though, is Abra’s vocal abilities. With soaring runs and cult-ish harmonies, it’s a DIY that runs deep.
This Apple Cinnamon Almond Cake is a Paleo-friendly recipe that’s the perfect make-ahead for tomorrow’s breakfast. I knew I wanted to try a DIY almond flour cake at some point, but thought with fall in the air adding apples was the way to go. I went a step further than just using chopped apples with homemade apple sauce, which trust me is not very difficult! Pair with a hot cup of coffee and make like cake.
Apple Cinnamon Almond Cake
•3c raw almonds
•4 peeled apples
•3/4c coconut oil
•powdered sugar, optional
- Peel & chop apples. Dice. Simmer over low heat with 1/4c sugar, cinnamon, & 1tbs coconut oil.
- Pulse raw almonds & 1/4c sugar until a cornmeal-like consistency.
- Melt coconut oil and mix with almond meal. Set aside.
- Beat 3 egg yolks with remaining 1/4c sugar until light & fluffy. Approx. 7 min. Add to almond mixture.
- Blend soft apples until smooth & add to almond mixture.
- In a clean bowl whip egg whites until foamy. Add 2tbs sugar. Whip until white and frothy. No need for peaks, but get close. Add to almond mixture.
- If you have a springform pan, now’s the time to use it. I, on the other hand, used two round cake pans – buttered & floured. [Which means you either get TWO cakes, or 1 double layered apple masterpiece!]
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 min. Dust with powdered sugar.