Cherry “Dump Cake” is a dessert often made for family gatherings. It uses canned fruits and boxed cake mix and therefore loaded in sugars. I attempted to put a spin on the traditional dessert by using frozen fruit, maple syrup, and coconut flour.
Reading through Pigeons and Planes Best New Artists feature I stumbled upon new R&B duo, They. They. consists of Dante from Denver, CO and Drew from Washington, D.C. The two met after moving to L.A. to further their music careers. After a major partnership with Zhu and Skrillex on the super successful single, “Working For It,” They. blew up going on to tour with Bryson Tiller.
They. consider themselves a new era of R&B, a type of “Grunge R&B.” For instance, “Rather Die” samples Nirvana’s “Rape Me” which they pair with differing vocal textures that take influence from Jeremih and New Edition. Listen to more on SoundCloud.
Cherry Skillet Cake
Yellow Cake Mix, Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com
- 1/2 C. Coconut flour
- 3/4 C. All purpose flour
- 3/4 C. Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
- Yellow cake mix recipe from above
- 16 oz. Bag frozen dark cherries
- 1/4 C. Maple syrup
- 1 1/4 Sticks butter
- 1 C. Walnuts
- For yellow cake mix: Combine all ingredients and blend with a fork until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour skillet using some of the cake mix.
- Pour cherries into skillet and top with maple syrup.
- Pour cake mix over top of cherries.
- Cut butter into cubes and dot cherry + cake mixture with cubes. Top with walnuts.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly.