Sundays call for comfort: comfort food, a big after-church kinda meal and definitely some relaxing music or some great TV. I am drooling over HBO’s new series Pretty Big Lies. I so wish it was one of those Netflix series and I could binge watch it all; it’s getting SO good!
But back to today’s recipe: I’ve been working on this recipe for some time now, trying to get it just right for you guys, and well, I think I’m there!
This recipe does not use ricotta cheese and instead uses cashew cream – one of my favorite things to work with! It is truly SO versatile. You still get that amazing creaminess, but without the extra dairy – though I do use some mozzarella on top.
At the beginning of every year I skip out on dairy, meat, refined grains + sugars, and any other extra additives for 21-30 days. I used this recipe as a transitioning meal – to kind of wean me off of those things I was so used to eating.
What makes this recipe Mexican is the use of black beans and great spices like cumin and cayenne. Layer by layer you’ll find an array of flavor: brown rice lasagna noodles, black bean puree + cumin, crushed tomatoes + tomato sauce + lime juice + cayenne, cashew cream + garlic powder – and then it repeats! Also, I topped it with roasted sweet red peppers for a final burst of flavor. I would have gotten a photo of the layers, but it was gone before I blinked twice. Whoops!
- 1 Pkg. Lasagna noodles, boiled to al dente (I used brown rice noodles from Fresh Thyme)
- 1 16 Oz. can Black beans, semi-drained
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Can halves & pieces Cashews, soaked in water at least 6 hrs
- 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 16 Oz. can Crushed tomatoes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 8 Oz. cans Tomato sauce
- 8 Oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 4-5 Sweet red peppers, sliced into rings
- Broil red pepper rings until slightly blackened, approx. 10-15 minutes depending on the strength of your broiler.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend soaked cashews with garlic powder until completely smooth. Mixture will be off-white in color.
- Puree black beans with cumin until blended to your preference. I like mine almost smooth.
- Stir together tomatoes, tomato sauce, lime juice and cayenne pepper.
- Begin layering! I used a 9×9 baking dish.
- Trim your noodles to fit the length of the dish. Begin layering noodles, I fit four.
- Spread black bean puree over the noodles.
- Then layer your cashew cream.
- Top cashew cream with tomato mixture.
- Repeat: noodles, beans, cashew cream, tomatoes.
- Top with mozzarella once you’ve reached your final layer.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.