Have you ever used half of a box of cake mix and wondered what to do with the rest? There is hope my friends, there is hope! You can use remaining cake mix or you can dig into a brand new box (or some homemade mix like I did!) and create a simple and satisfying dessert that won’t be tempting you for days. Maybe just one day. Or if you’re lucky, two days.
You’ve all seen Joy The Baker’s @drakeoncake haven’t ya? It’s the funnest concept for cake, I think. I attempted to put a spin on the idea with some lyrics from Jay-Z’s new album, 4:44. Everyone is talking about it anyway, am I right? Jay-Z is going to help us all better our credit, be better moms and dads, build and keep our relationships, and make the government take a different point of view.
Lyrics from above are from “4:44” – “We’re supposed to laugh ’til our heart stops.” Bake & stream below:
Olive Oil Skillet Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cake:
- 1/4 C. Coconut flour
- 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. All purpose flour
- 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Baking soda
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 C. Olive oil, plus extra to coat pan
- 2/3 C. Water
For the frosting:
- 1/4 C. Diced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 Pkg. Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 C. Powdered sugar, sifted
- Fresh berries to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heavily coat a cast iron skillet with extra olive oil.
- If you’re not using pre-made cake mix, combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl (flours, sugar, baking powder and soda).
- Add egg, olive oil and water. Mix until wet.
- Bake cake in cast iron skillet for approximately 30-35 minutes. Cake will be golden brown with crisp edges.
- For the frosting, in a separate bowl combine cream cheese and powdered sugar together with a fork. (I sifted my powdered sugar over the bowl of cream cheese).
- Fold in strawberries.
- Once your cake has cooled, pour frosting over your cake. I had extra frosting remaining, but put as much as you’d like!
- Top with assorted berries and enjoy!