Creamy cashew cream meets spicy lasagna. Top with cheese, or don’t, you vegans. This is comfort food right here.
What makes this recipe Mexican-inspired is the use of black beans and great spices like cumin and cayenne. Layer by layer you’ll find an array of flavor. This is a crowd pleaser, whether you are a meat-eater, or not.
Make this listening to Billie Eilish’s new album, dont smile at me. These two tracks, in particular:
Did I mention she’s only 15?
- 1 Pkg. Lasagna noodles, boiled to al dente – I used brown rice noodles
- 1 16 Oz. can Black beans, semi-drained
- 1 Tbsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Can halves & pieces Cashews, soaked in water at least 6 hrs
- 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 16 Oz. can Crushed tomatoes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 8 Oz. cans Tomato sauce
- 8 Oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 4-5 Sweet red peppers, sliced into rings
- Broil red pepper rings until slightly blackened, approx. 10-15 minutes depending on the strength of your broiler.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender, combine soaked cashews with garlic powder and blend until completely smooth.
- In a food processor or same blender from above, combine black beans with cumin and blend.
- In a small bowl stir together tomatoes, tomato sauce, lime juice and cayenne pepper.
- In a 9×9 inch baking dish begin to layer ingredients:
- Trimmed noodles
- Black bean puree
- Cashew cream
- Tomato mixture
- Final layer: Mozzarella + Pepper rings
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.